Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Captains log. Stardate 2.20-23. The one where the 'real' work began

Saturday started off fairly smoothly, I felt like we were getting a bit closer to where we needed to be and that there was some small chance that the week (or at least the parts I had control over) would not be a complete disaster. I don't recall what I worked on that particular day... but I do remember that the increased pace of texts and phone calls that persisted through most of the week began on Saturday and only let up a week later. 

I remember struggling to keep things straight in my mind, and I also am sure that I annoyed those forced to work with me a great deal as zero-hour approached and all other distractions were banished to the less-important pile. 

Saturday ended as a bit of a blur... 

Sunday began as most days do, morning arriving too soon, the daily list of things approaching faster than you're 100% comfortable with... the staff was predictably late and training began at about 4:30. training commenced through supper, and as I finally found my bed early Monday morning I remember feeling incredibly grateful for the team that we ended up with this week, some unfamiliar faces at the time... but even when I wasn't confident in myself I was confident in the team. 

Monday... 

Monday just proved time and time again that the peace I felt Sunday night was well founded. Activities went smoothly and I got to see the normal function of camp for the first time. From my perspective everything went smoothly and any issues that arose were dealt with easily and quickly. Once again when I crashed for the night I felt like we were getting some positive momentum. 

A few short hours later I was awakened by our weekly nurse informing me that they were heading to the hospital with a camper. I was grateful to those that took that responsibility and very glad that it was a group of people I trusted enough that I could go back to sleep so I could face the next day... 

The week is already fading into a blur but I'll leave it here for now and hit a few main points in the next update, and hopefully get caught up to the present. 

1 comment:

bromb said...

Keep at it Nick; you're making our first name proud.