Thursday, July 4, 2013

2.26-27 The one where I finish the old week.

Lake day! Lake day began the way it always does... with breakfast.

But on a more serious note, lake day went well. Sadly I had to bid a farewell to my mum as she headed home... but I was quickly caught up in the hustle and bustle of getting everyone loaded on the buses and various cars necessary to get everyone to lake day.

We arrived at the lake and the frolicking commenced! The kids had fun (or so it seemed) and so did the staff. Only a few folks got badly sunburned and I didn't kill anyone because of it (despite rumors that I might) and the evening went well, the evening campfire (typical for a Thursday) was an opportunity for the kids to share what God had been doing in their lives this week. I was blown away by how many of them were quick to speak up. It was great to see how despite all of my tiny concerns and the steady pressure of the "what if" God delivered a powerful week in the life of these kids.

Friday rolled around and 2 chapels and a cleanup time later a bus full of kids headed out the gate. We breathed a deep sigh of relief and did a bit of a scramble to get supper ready for the staff we'd promised to feed.

At this point I should make one thing incredibly clear, I did not get through the week without help... and just in case I've forgotten to mention that face adequately I need to restate how amazed and humbled I was by the team I worked with this last week. They worked hard when they were getting sick (or just recovering from it) they poured out their hearts to kids that were strangers a short time before and I have to single out my co-director for her hard work too. Through the planning that we were able to get done ahead of time she worked hard and pushed for excellence, during the week she did well to roll with unexpected situations and stayed focused on getting things done in the best way possible.

In that spirit, on friday as cleaning and our formal responsibilities were winding down for the week, she took over the prep for supper and allowed me to relax a bit. Due to that I was able to go down the zipline for the first time and go rappelling for the first time this summer. (both of which were fantastic)

Supper was delightful and as the evening picked up momentum the large amount of staff that had stayed for the night kicked off the latest round of the haven indoor soccer league. It was a blast and despite a few minor injuries (I think the bruises should be healed by now) and very minor property damage (the fish survived the fall from his normal hanging spot) the overall ending note was exhausted happiness. There is something cool about a team that works hard, and plays hard together.

Over the next 24 hours nearly all the staff headed out to their plans for the week, some to return a few days later, others who won't be back until Sunday... I awoke to say the goodbye's I knew about... and then went to bed in the mid-afternoon for a nap. 7 hours later I awoke hungry to discover my wonderful comrades had left me a plate from supper sitting right beside my bed. I ate and read my book for an hour or so.. and then went to bed a second time. (I've been told if it exceeds a few hours it cannot be referred to as a nap)

Looking back at the week I feel more alive directing than I do in my 'normal' job at camp. Yes, it's harder and more exhausting mentally and spiritually... but it's something that I feel I'm good at. Despite my flaws and failures... I loved the opportunity and even though I learned a lot that I'd do differently I can't wait to do it again. (if they'll let me) We'll see what the future holds though...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They'll let you do it again. Rumor has it, the executive director is pleased with your performance and would like to have you be a counselor during the last session this summer so that you will have even more insight for next year when you direct again. Not that I have inside information or anything. ;)