Thursday, July 4, 2013

2.24-25 the one where I fail, and the one where the week goes well anyway.

Tuesday began strangely, As I walked down the stairs to head over to the morning counselor meeting (meetings I've never been to other than this week... when I had to lead them) I noticed our hospital contingent returning. They updated me on the situation and then they all headed to bed and wished us luck for the morning.

During activities we had a few issues, but nothing the activity staff at each station couldn't handle. I particularly enjoyed maverick varying his tomahawk speech volume to compensate for the intermittent winds.  "Remember kids... the tomahawk is A WEAPON! It is not a CHILD'S PLAYTHING!" it still makes me chuckle a bit when I think about it. Also I don't feel like I did much that morning other than see how good everyone is at their jobs... I got to see activities that I don't ever get to see (aka all of them) and really enjoyed the experience.

Tuesday also was the day that our first (and only) camper headed home for the week. The one that had taken a visit to the hospital decided with her parents that she was going to be done for the week. She did seem semi-excited about coming back to the 2nd junior high week though.

Wednesday was much the same as tuesday, I wandered a bit and then I hopped in on the last hike of the week. I was impressed with the thought and preparation that had gone into an activity that didn't exist (or at least no one knew we were using) until sunday night. I also scouted out a spot where I think my hammock will fit... so that's just a win as well.

Wednesday night was one of the big headline mistakes, the kind that people remember. Thankfully it wasn't super huge and it might fade with the passage of time (Lord willing anyway) but during our evening activity staff meeting we gave a lil' speech about lake day and how sunscreen is super important. Then I added a bit that I intended to be a firm reminder that sunscreen is SUPER important, sunburned kids is a very bad situation and sunburned staff slows the team down... turns out when I'm tired and frustrated at other things that I can't talk about in staff meetings (and won't talk about on here) I sound more frustrated than I intend... and that's not the best way to motivate people... (If any of the staff who were in the meeting are reading this, I sincerely apologize.)

Also Wednesday morning my mom made it out to camp to see what I've been ranting and raving about for the last few years. I had the honor of showing her around a bit and even though I never got the chance for dad to see this... I felt his presence too, as we walked (or drove) around the place. A guy never gets over wanting his dad to be proud of him... and maybe it's stretching but I think dad would be proud of what we do here.

Next time on the N quadrant.... LAKE DAY!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dad most definitely would have been proud of what you all are doing at Haven. Anywhere that people are spreading the word about God and His amazing grace would have made him excited. Probably would have had a discussion with Walter after chapel. :-) (Would have been fun to eavesdrop on that conversation)
Don't dwell on the things you said, did, or didn't do that you should have...In spite of us God accomplishes what He will accomplish. For some reason, He likes to use us, and grow us in the process.
Mom