Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day 5. In which I might wander... but am likely not lost. (not unlike those crazy backpacker types)

I waffled a bit on whether I was going to update today.. being the sabbath I had committed to myself that I did not HAVE to post today in order to fulfill my goal but that If I could find a topic and the time I would allow myself to post that here.

That having been said this is an evening update instead of a morning one... I decided my little bit of free time this sunday would be better served chilling after morning feeding and just seeing what happened instead of forcing myself to spend some time with ye olde lappy. The morning began as expected, All of the horses were still in the pen, the water was still full, and all of the various and sundry things I have folded into my camp routine went smoothly. The only real noteworthy bit before we rolled for church was that I had frosted flakes for breakfast. I don't usually let myself buy that sugary of cereal at home because it doesn't keep you going very long and then it's just extra calories buuuut at camp s'ok. :)

We rolled on out of here and took our caravan out to lingle at north hills baptist church. It was pretty fun to see/hear the response when we played the video proof that our newly installed zipline works! (although to be fair it has a few minor things that still need to be worked out). The sermon was pretty solid and the pastor challenged us to live a life of courage instead of complacency, it really hit between the eyes as a great sermon to start camp with.

It was at this point that I really noticed the day take a strange twist, after the sermon we sang great is thy faithfulness... For those of you who are in my immediate family (most of my readers I suspect) you already know the emotionally laden nature of that song to us, but for the few of you that aren't in the loop here goes... Great is thy faithfulness has been used as a family theme many times over the years, we've sung it at family reunions and my parents have quoted it at many pivotal moments over the course of my own life as well. I have very fond memories of being in a large room packed with relatives and everyone belting out that song...

To add to that already significant emotional response as you might (or might not) be aware my oma (grandmother) went on to be with the lord on the 6th of this month, not being able to afford the time or money required to be in attendance at the funeral my greiving process has been a bit more drawn out and unpredictable too... so slightly to my chagrin as we're singing this hymn in church I'm barely managing to keep the tears to a sub akward rate, and my mind was instantly drawn to the memories of oma belting out that song and all the joy and energy she brought to everything she did.

On top of that a few days ago I was challenged by my good friend adam with the question about "what do you bring to the table?" in regards to camp, spiritual gifts, and generally the team that we've been blessed with this summer. And despite it stealing a large chunk of my processing power I've still had trouble verbalizing what that is... today I got my first tangible answer (at least in my own mind).

One of the incredible things I bring to this season/team/ministry is the very thing that had me in tears this morning. I am the son of john and anna, the grandson of john, gonny, martin and ada. I am the heir of an incredible heritage and the benificiary of a mighty love that mirrors the saviors love for us. I have been compared to my grandfather and my dad many times and I used to find that annoying, but now I am super excited about such things.

I am incredibly grateful to my parents for modeling for me a life that pursued passion and the leading of God and I would not be the man I am today without them.

Nick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To God be the glory!! HE is the faithful one, the one who holds us, leads us, transforms our feeble actions into ones that bring HIM glory.
Love you!
Mom