Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 9. Words cannot express...

Before the insanity of the last night at camp swallows the rest of my time and energy I decided I'd drop in a note and do my regular "debrief" mentally on the last 24 hours or so. I am in a semi-secluded spot where I can still hear the music in chapel and let me tell you... it's days like today that make this the most rewarding thing in the world. The sound of 70 campers raising their voices in song and the myriad of staff that are here to serve them.

I wish I could say that my comments capture even the slightest realism of what camp is, This is truly where I am at my best and feel like I'm in the absolute center of the will of God. I wish I could adequately explain the recent experience of lying on the basketball court after playing soccer with two dear comerades against about 20 kids... so tired but giddy with laughter. Or the mighty encouragement of a dear brother while we discuss the nature of God's call and the incredible confluence of events that brought this group of people here for this. Or the privilege of being around some of the most incredible women that I have ever met, faithful servants and incredible beauties all. And finally the humbling experience of a elder brother coming up to me to share a verse of encouragement and to say that he sees the fruit of the spirit evidenced by me and poured out on those around me. I am along for the ride but I am not worthy...

How do I explain a thursday night? the final burst of energy, the incredible comfort that comes from knowing that God took your feeble efforts and did something with them. The power in knowing that no matter what you do at this point the week is basically over, so you just have to do well with the few short hours you have left. And on top of it all the overwhelming exhaustion that speaks peace to the soul and stands as quiet testimony that on this day near the end of this race you left it all on the field, you poured out everything you could and did not hold back any sliver of your passion, strength, joy, or pain.

Tonight and tomorrow will be over in a blink and then the weekend... Another week of camp completed in this place. Old friends and new will move on and only God knows if I'll see them again this side of heaven, but for this time and place, here in nowhere Wyoming we were brothers and sisters in this work and we were a small part of what HE did here. The lion is on the move my friends...

-Nick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LIKE!!
So Good! God is SO good!
Mom