Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day the seventh, memories I don't want to forget.

Heyo! Once again I'm a bit late to update but I'm still in the 24 hour window so I don't feel too bad. I think today I'm just going to share a fairly random assortment of quotes and/or stories that I want to record before I lose the memories. Here goes in no particular order.

Yesterday night I showed up for evening snack and grabbed my little package of string cheese, Decided I should probably be sociable I sat down next to a group of wee little girl campers and as I was opening my cheese I asked them if it was any good, dead serious this tiny girl looks at me and with a completely straight face says "I dream of this cheese".

On one of the trail rides today about half of the kids were terrified as we left the pen, by the time we got back (about an hour later) they were loudly proclaiming their love of the horses and how our activity was the best ever. (even better than tomahawks). Makes the job worth doing.

A few days ago? (maybe yesterday) I heard a story that will forever define what camp ministy is about. We've recently put in a few ziplines (600 feet long!) but we're still working out a few kinks and when the wind is just right or a camper is just light enough they'll get stuck just shy of the platform on the bottom end. Now to preface the next part, One of the guys running the zipline was talking with me at dinner and confessed that he was a bit nervous about it and wasn't sure what he'd do if something went wrong. Well as you might have guessed... camper goes down and gets stuck, the staff member on the bottom end hooks himself up and hand over hand until he reached the camper and helped her complete her journey. If i'm ever in the position where I'm training a summer camp staff, this will be the story I use to explain what our job is all about.

I've seen homesick kids hugged by so many people it made them happy just to be told they're special, I've seen servant leaders put themselves on the line for their staff time and time again, I've seen old men capering about with kids, and I've seen the word of God proclaimed faithfully time and time again. If ever there was any doubt that this is where I was supposed to be during this time and in this place those doubts have been obliterated by the last 7 days.

I hope that you get to see a glimpse of the goodness of God through these posts, this is an incredible time and I wish you all could join me.

-Nick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So good! So excited for you! Keep yourself rooted solidly in God's Word, and each day will be an adventure of His making.
Mom