Friday, June 7, 2013

Year 2, Days 6 and 7

First things first, It should be known that I haven't missed a day thus far, however last night I was camping out for a team-building exercise and did not have the time nor ability to update at that time. In my own tradition I'll just update you on both days here.

Thursday started out a bit rough.. The early mornings seem to disagree with me more and more each year... but despite this I seem to get more and more out of them. This year is no different... when my alarm goes off I can only seem to respond with a groan and try to drag myself out of bed and get the day rolling, hopefully getting a bit of momentum by breakfast...

Despite the difficulty at the beginning of the day I feel like I'm doing fairly well during the day. I have had it pointed out to me that I'm using more time to recover this year.. but I also think (perhaps erratically) that what I am devoting myself to, I'm doing more effectively than I have in years past.

Last night we hiked out a ways from the camp... and then we were faced with a challenge. Instead of returning to our beds, we were supposed to locate a few tents, dig a firepit, dig a latrine, and cook supper. Thankfully the team pulled together and after about an hour of steady work we had an incredible camp of no less than 5 tents, (and one bivy) a well cleared firepit, a fairly private and useful privy...

I got another chance to use my backpacking gear and everyone seemed to be in fairly high spirits when we returned to camp this morning. we finished the morning out with the first trail ride of the summer (which went very well)

This afternoon we did a bit of cleaning around camp and then spent a bit of time at the lake where we had a wonderful supper of burgers and bratwurst. After that we returned to camp and were released to spend our time as we would.

Tomorrow holds a bit more work with the horses, and some prep for camp next week. I really don't know if i'm catching up... but at least I feel a bit less like I'm being drug behind the schedule so far...

-Nick

1 comment:

Alida said...

drug behind? grammar alert! :)

sounds like you're off to a good start for the summer though, which is great to hear.