Sunday, June 2, 2013

Year 2, Day 2! Of church, fuego, and a herd of new people.

Today was fairly uneventful in that sit on a hilltop and watch clouds go by because all is right with the world sort of way. It started as many Sundays do (especially during camp season) with me staring blearily at my phone and wishing the hour of the alarm had taken a bit longer to arrive. I dragged myself out of bed and rumbled down the road to church. Thankfully the rumble is due to the gravel road and is not because of my muffler missing anymore! I was very much encouraged by running into the beginnings of the camp crowd and getting more than my regular dosage of hugs.

Over the course of the afternoon I had the privilege and pleasure of eating lunch with 3 of the gals on staff, consuming tasty ice cream and several hours of great conversation under a shady tree. (and a bit of minecraft to boot!)

Upon returning to camp I was immediately surrounded by a crowd of super enthusiastic and passionate staff members. I must confess I'm also excited... but it was a bit intimidating as well. Nothing a bit of introvert friendly tomahawk therapy couldn't fix though!

Training begins in earnest tomorrow morning and I fear the snowball effect that is camp will soon sweep me off my feet, but for now I"m doing well. Spirits are high and provisions are good.

-Nick
p.s. if you care to read more of my stuff I wrote a post for the haven site too! (http://www.havenontherock.org/posts/its-time-for-camp/)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Introvert friendly tomahawk therapy?? Sounds intriguing. Explain.

Nick Oegema said...

Heh, it's not quite as dangerous as it might seem...

One of the activities we do with the kids is teach them to throw tomahawks... so introvert friendly means you sneak out to the range when others are off doing other things and spend the better part of an hour throwing axes at innocent stumps. It's very cathartic.