Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 42. Of repetition and innovation, of endorphins and ibuprofin

Today was a pretty cool day. I spent a bit too long in a conversation with friends so I'll try to be brief so I can go to bed.

The day began with chapter 2 of the book. (see yesterday) and then we went on to Crossroads for a work project and our VBS afternoon. The morning project was organizing a little library for the kids department, because of previous disorganization and physical limitations, it was interesting to see someone elses point of stress and be able to help out in such a way that it didn't turn into a wreck of a project. I offhandedly referred to it as "their feed bunk" in reference to the project waaay back during orientation that pushed me out near the stress saturation point, but I don't know that this one was quite that bad, hopefully not anyway and the people on the project worked hard and we got a fair bit done. We'll go back to finish it tomorrow.

After eating lunch in the cafeteria we moved on to working with the kids themselves and conducted another afternoon of our VBS program. Today I got to be the food shop person and had a blast selling little candies and goldfish to the kids for fake monies. (I don't know if I've explained what our program is buuut i'll do that tomorrow).

After VBS we moved on to the same VOA mission we were at yesterday and helped serve their 4th meal again. (they do 2 suppers) It was pretty gratifying to see the workers there again and help them out and we also got to see a bunch of their regular volunteers working and got to work alongside a few of them. (several of their guests volunteer there)

After supper we came 'home' and then moved on to the gym again. Somehow I got talked into doing an upper body workout for a while and even tonight I was a bit sore, hopefully the proactive consumption of ibuprofin that I did just a few moments ago will help the morning be not quite so terrible. But it is further proof that I should be exercising more regularly once the camp season is over...

And then last and certainly not least on the way back from the gym I started (or was involved in, whichever perspective you prefer) a fairly in depth conversation with a few other staff members which carried on for quite some time. This resulted in a fairly happy Nick, but also a Nick who was late to post and is starting to resemble a zombie (and one who is starting to write in the 3rd person).

prayer requests/bullet point updates.
-lots of us are sick, in fact 2 staff members are out of commission because of it (one took the day off to sleep and the other is home this week to recover). The rest of us are fighting various symptoms and would really prefer not to be sick

-We're back at camp this coming sunday, pray that we can switch gears back and be effective for the last 2 weeks.

-Rimrock (the other half of our organization) is running a few weeks of camp while we're on the road, pray that they are used in a powerful Way to help kids grow and learn.

-I've been talking with several of our staff (and been thinking to myself) a fair bit about the future... we're all committed to going where God leads each of us, but many of us don't know what that looks like, pray for vision and clarity as well as peace on whatever road we're sent to.

Das all I got. off to bed I go.

-Nick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When you are of less tired mind and body you will need to explain more clearly what you were doing with the "library" thing.
We got tons of rain here yesterday. Hoping you got some at camp and also in Denver.
I'm looking forward to a 'tea (or home-cooked dinner) date" when you get back to hear all your stories.
Mom