Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 41. Of rescue missions and social anxiety, of gifts and gals and various other sundries.

Today has been an interesting day. We began the day by beginning a book in group study called "the 24-hour Christian". We only read chapter one but so far I think it's pretty good, time will tell and if any particular ones stick out I'll write about that at a later date.

After breakfast and book group we moved on and headed over to a facility run by the Denver Rescue Mission. We spent a bit in training and learning how off some of our perceptions are about poverty and homelessness. It was a both informative and intriguing. After eating lunch in the cafeteria there we began our first day of VBS with the kids in the facility. This morning we only had about 10 of them (tops) but it was still fun to see them enjoy the activities and to give their parents a short break.

I got the job of kid wrangler which is a bit outside of my ideal wheelhouse but it was still a bit of a blast to hang out with the lil guys again. Although to be fair I'm exhausted... but that's normal for 8pm on a monday. And I really can't complain because I got paired up with my co-counselor from last week again and she's basically amazing so it works out.

After the DRM we moved on to a Volunteers of America where we helped serve a meal to about 100 people. It wasn't particularly new of an experience but it was very cool to talk to a few of the guests and also to see how that facility focused on volunteer labor to get everything done. The few staffers that we met were obviously involved in the business that comes with front-line service work but they were gracious and it was incredibly enjoyable to help them in the small way that we could.

I am a bit amazed how much I forget about my social awkwardness when I'm doing things like camp but when i'm placed in any place where I can't meet people at my pace or without any 'safe' zone, it's a failing but it was also nice to be reminded that i'm not really an extrovert... i just fake being one professionally.

at this point in time we're back at our 'home' church and a few folks are prepping to head over to the gym for a few hours. Most of us aren't motivated to work out too much during camp... but that's also where we have to go to get a shower so... yep :)

short post today... meh

-Nick

addendum: after initially writing this we went to the gym and I put in 45 minutes on the bike... it was delightful and the little machine said I went something like 12 miles... good times :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very busy and full day.
Per your comment about not being an extrovert - God often stretches us and gets us out of our comfort zone so we have to rely on Him, but, being that he made you an introvert, you will need to guard those precious times when you can be alone to refresh and rejuvenate.
Glad you went to the gym.
Love you, Mom