Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Camp Chronicles Day1/2



I was a bit surprised this morning to discover just how fast 60+ days can go flying by. Despite having a countdown on my phone telling me how many days remain I still feel like camp was a long ways away.. and then teleported right next to me.

This year I'm in an interesting place... normally I'd be leaving a job that I'm ready to move on from, or I'd be within the midst of an academic year that allows for summer camps quite admirably.This year, I'm taking some time away from a job that I love to do camp, something I both love and feel an urgency to be a part of. Because of the cramped time available to me for prep this will have to be short but I wanted to let you all know that this is where my updates will be posted. And since today is the first day of camp I'll post my version of my support letter. here goes...

Dear Friends,

In a few short hours (yes I procrastinated) I'll be departing to be a part of another summer with Adventures in Christian Kamping, despite their oddly spelled name they are an incredible organization dedicated to the high calling of christian summer camps. This will be my second year working with them and I'm very confident that God has begun a mighty work this year and I am incredibly excited to be a part of that.

I'm writing this and distributing it to ask for your support. First and foremost I desperately crave your prayers. About a decade ago when I was first getting into camp ministry a mentor of mine told me "at camp we run on prayer and caffeine and the caffeine is optional." and I have found this to be incredibly true. So please pray, I can only do my job effectively by the grace of God and the support of the church.

What about money? you may be asking, seems like everyone needs money to do these things... I was convicted this year that I should be able to pay my own way this summer before I could consider going to camp, so right now any financial burden of having a severely reduced income for 2 months will land solely on my shoulders, I do not expect anyone to give financially and am prepared to bear that burden alone.  However if you feel led to give please do! you can go to http://www.wyoack.org/apps/donations/ and donate there. Do not feel like I am holding you hostage or attempting to guilt donations in any way, if you feel led please give. If you cannot give financially for any reason please pray, because I'm going regardless and prayer is priceless.

If you want to know my stories or perspective I encourage you to check out my blog at http://nquadrant.blogspot.com/ where I'll do my best to post regular updates.

I appreciate your time reading all of this and I'm glad you're along for this adventure even if it is "merely" in spirit.

God Bless!
Nick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On the eve of heading to camp, a friend once prayed this prayer for/with me. May it bless you, like it blessed me:

Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace.
Help me in all things to rely upon your holy will.
In every hour of the day, reveal your will to me.
Bless my dealing with all who surround me.
Teach me to treat all that comes to me throughout the day with peace of soul and firm conviction that your will governs all.
In all my words and deeds guides my thoughts and feelings.
In unforeseen events, let me not forget that all things are under your care.
Teach me to act firmly and wisely without embittering and embarrassing others.
Give me the strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring.
Direct my will, teach me to pray; pray yourself in me. Amen.