Thursday, June 13, 2013

Y2, Day 12. The Twelfth night and no routine in sight.

It is strange to me that at this time in the summer we'd have nearly 2 weeks of camp under our belt. I remember things more orderly and that I had more energy than I do this year... but in re-reading my own posts and remembering more accurately I don't think that was true.

yesterday went well, the kiddos got to see a large variety of farm animals and really seemed to enjoy their time there. I got the unique privilege of walking around all day and just bearing witness to the cool stuff that was happening, I saw counselors lovingly put up with carrying kids around, pose for silly pictures (possibly hundreds of them) and how even when the staff was exhausted they dug in and played hard all day long. When minor injuries happened I saw band-aids applied with endless sympathy and compassion and the tiny lie detectors that are children accept the comfort and move on to more important things... like baby goats!

The afternoon wound down a bit faster than the previous afternoon and we once again made our trek up the mountain one person lighter... and she set out for home in the bus to rejoin the team at Haven. I've since learned that she had a bit of excitement on the drive... but I shan't tell that story as it's not mine to tell (and she might get embarrassed or something) But she did make it safely back late last night.

While that was happening I managed to accidentally catch a nap before we ate a slightly later supper (it seems to be creeping later and later each day) of spaghetti and meatballs. then we pressed on and despite our worship leader hurting his hand during the day we sang a few songs acapella and it was very powerful... A perfect example of how God is powerful in our weakness (which we talked about earlier this week)

Last night however, I spoke about the Gospel. I outlined the basics of what it is, how we're all fallen and broken people (Romans 3:23), how it is appointed for man to die and face judgement (Heb 9:27), and how Jesus was the perfect sacrifice to meet the penalty for our sin (John 3:16-17). I then presented the challenge that we never take that for granted or allow the gospel and the grace of God to become boring (something my father would have approved of I think). We then read Matthew 18:21-35 and talked about how as the forgiven we have a huge responsibility to not just let that be a dot on the timeline, but instead need to press in to Jesus and continue to grow in forgiveness and grace...

The evening wound down at campfire and I had the privilege of talking a bit more with our worship leader for the week, and it was very encouraging to share a bit of our stories with each other.

Today we take the kids up the mountain and do a round of activities on the meadow, and tonight is our last chapel together before we go zipping off to our various things. Some of us will return to haven immediately, others will join us again later in the summer... still others will have re-entry to 'normal' life and we will be left the poorer for their absence. I can't wait to be truly home and not have to deal with the constant farewells we're stuck with right now...

-Nick
p.s. if you're reading this leave a comment!

6 comments:

Alida said...

I remember in YWAM having to give up wanting a set routine - and when I did, the true adventure began. So often, too, we see Jesus' plans and solitude constantly interrupted and changed and the distractions and adventure were the very place where his ministry happened. All the Father asked him to do was give each day to him and ask for the wisdom to be attentive to his direction and leading. I hope you start feeling less exhausted, but give yourself grace and space for the lack of routine - and just go with it. :) Proud of you!

Anonymous said...

I'm reading this. See. I'm sitting next to you and typing in this comment because you told me to. I follow directions, mostly.

Anonymous said...

By the way Nick, I love your sister.

Alida, you don't know me... I love you. Let's be friends.

~martha

Anonymous said...

I am reading. It is always fun to see God work through you. By you I mean specifically you Nic. Enjoy the ride.
Walter

Ellie/Gerard said...

I'm reading this too. Wonderful to Read how you experience camp and how God is working through you in that setting.

Anonymous said...

Love the goats! Reminds me of Jake:-)
I keep having a song run through my head that my Mother used to have posted on a kitchen cupboard. One of the verses went like this:
He does not lead me year by year,
nor even day by day,
but step by step my path unfolds,
The Lord directs my way.
Praying for daily grace,
Mom