Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day 55. The last beginning of the summer.

Before I get into the details of today let me first say that as you might notice (or might not have until I said it) that I'm about a week behind... So for the next few days the details may or may not be entirely accurate. During camp I have a very weak connection to actual time passing.. so some things that I say happened on a certain day may or may not have happened on that day. They did happen at some point this week. 

That having been said... 

Monday began with training, there was just a few snippets left to get out of the way before the kids started arriving. It was also outlined that this week would be a bit different and all activities would be 2 hours long. This isn't a new thing for us down at the horses but it was a bit different for everyone else. The idea behind it is to free up time so the kids can more reliably be on time for activities. We'll see how it turns out.. but it seems like a good idea. 

The kids started arriving shortly before lunch and we had two rides head out in the afternoon. This week I had 2 guys helping me out and despite being 15 and 16 respectively they really did a great job with getting rides out and keeping the kids safe today. One of them has been with me all summer and continues to do a great job leading the line and helping with groundwork, and the other was totally new to our crew this week and helped interact with the kids. I've been very happy with my crew all summer long and this week appears to be no exception. 

Also another advantage to the slightly different schedule this week is that afternoon activities (and dinner) are half an hour later. The supreme advantage of this is that after lunch we actually get a wee break and today I used that window to take a short nap. I haven't had the need or time to take many naps at all this summer but I was so exhausted today that I just needed to stop for a moment. 

umm... I think that's it for monday... 

-Nick

No comments: