Saturday, January 17, 2015

The pain of blessing; Walking among giants

Yesterday was a day of incredible blessing, and one of the (at least recently) most difficult things I've ever done. Yesterday I climbed into my new car, and drove off for another brief time in Wyoming.

For those of you in the know, this may cause some puzzlement. Why should getting a astronomically huge upgrade in vehicles cause any sort of emotional difficulty? I mean, I drove a car that I loved to be frustrated with and that had major breakdowns on a semi-annual basis. Not to mention the convenient vent holes in the rusted out body panels, or the windows that would happily roll down... but only roll back up through a heroic feat of strength. And why would it be sad to say farewell to the purposefully avoided thought that I drive all over the midwest and the car doesn't have a spare tire for the increasingly likely event of a flat. Well on the one had it's sad because that car was a huge blessing regardless.

That car was a gift from a dear brother at a time of need. I had recently lost my other vehicle to a collision with a deer and was without a vehicle or the means to acquire one. And in that place of helplessness my friend gifted me my little green car. A car that we had both spent countless hours driving/riding around in during high school. A car filled with good memory and well-earned rust and dust. And it served me well for over three years. I learned to drive a manual in that car, and to keep a set of earplugs handy because it out  roared most heavy machinery for the first two years until I could get the muffler fixed once again.

I learned how to pull a starter out of that car and that a stubborn starter can sometimes be awakened with a hammer. I took that car to camp for three summers, and it faithfully got me there, faithfully had some major mechanical issue while I was there, and newly repaired faithfully carried me home again.

I will miss that stupid thing... it was a daily reminder of grace and provision. Not abundance, but enough.

And now I look at the car that I own and I struggle calling it mine. Because forever in my mind this car is my father's. Sleek, black, and filled with a host of modern bells a whistles it is a thing of beauty. I loved this car when it first replaced our old “canadian battlewagon” during the cash for clunkers program. And I loved this car whenever I borrowed it for short periods to drive around town.

Me and my little brother took this car to Chicago when we moved him home... and for a very brief moment we thought that it had been stolen (and it had in a perfectly legal but no less annoying manner). I remember this car sitting in the garage for the last two years. Every time any of us would return home there it would be, as a steady reminder that its driver was gone, but he would never be forgotten. And in a very real sense that car was a comfort of the greater things my heavenly father was gifting my earthly one even now.

And now I own that car. And I am ecstatic and sad. Because that is my dad's car. And it's like a small hug to be able to feel his presence every time I see it. But I also can't help but know that there now is an empty garage at my mothers house because of that blessing. And I can't help but be reminded that dad is gone, and that he won't be returning to take back his car.

I was swamped with all of that joy, sorrow, and a surprising amount of raw pain right as I was saying good bye to my mother. As we both stood in the doorway to the garage she said “it's yours now” and completely against my better judgment I burst out crying and said “no it's not” after an indeterminate amount of time, several long hugs and more tears than my precious male ego would tolerate in almost any other context I got in the car and drove off...

It's amazing how humbling it is to be blessed so completely over the last month. I was surrounded by a family that I love dearly for almost the entire time. And I got more sleep than I have in years. Coming up on two years without dad it still remains a bit odd to not have him there. And as I played with my cute nephew bearing his namesake this last week  the bittersweet rolled over me again and again.


So why the title? Well... I've said what seems like hundreds of times now that this sort of pain is good. Because the loss (and the blessings) are the result of an incredible group of people that I get to call family. Would that all people be so blessed this side of heaven.  

No comments: