Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Y2, Day 17 The one where we all get a little nervous...

The last day has been a doozy. Not only did I have to post a filler blog because I was to tired to write anything, but I also had one of the most difficult rides we've ever had.

Monday we started off with our regular trail rides. The first was plagued by a few horses pulling back while tied up and the second ride we saw no less than 4 snakes (2 bull, 2 rattlers) but we soldiered on and had two safe rides.

Yesterday we also had 3 rides... The first two went great, we were happy that our system appeared to be kicking in and our rides were moving along.

But the third ride was interesting. We started out of the corral and I felt a twinge of doubt as I looked at the hint of a storm on the horizon. I didn't feel like it was much to be worried about as even the worst storms I've seen out here took a few hours to build before they moved in. However we were not so lucky this day. As we started out on the ride we made an effort to stay close enough that if we got surprised we'd be able to get back safely.

Within a few short minutes we decided to head home (maybe a ten minute ride away) but as we headed home the storm swept down on us and within a few seconds the calm air had whipped into a powerful wind, causing the horses to turn into the wind and due to the riding level of most kids with us we were unable to maintain control or safety.

At this point I decided to have the ride dismount and we attempted to lead the horses back in, just in time for a flurry of hail to hit us.

Responding to an increasingly viscous storm and almost total panic with the kids we let the horses loose and I saw my team and the counselors with us put themselves between the kids and the hail and walk them down the hill to a nearby tree where we hunkered down to ride out the worst of it.

On sort order we had a van come pick up the kids and I am incredibly blessed to tell you that they're all happy, healthy, and looking forward to the rest of the week.

We also were blessed by all the tack being in good shape when we got it back in (the only damage is stuff that I can fix easily)

I tell you thus not to make myself look good but to testify to the glory of God. He kept us from greater disaster and kept the entire team doing what they were supposed to.

I also want to brag on my team a bit, I'm blessed to have guys and gals working with me that when thing go bad are true professionals, I saw kids hugged and encouraged, protection provided without a thought, quick and effective responses to rapidly changing conditions... And a drive to succeed that blows me away.

I would ask that you pray for Sean (one of my Wranglers) he twisted his ankle pretty bad and is getting it looked at today. Pray for quick healing for him.

Continue to pray for our safety, these situations can be tough but pray that we continue to be prepared for whatever comes our way.

God is good, and despite the struggles we're still here doing what he's called us to.

-Nick

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Thank the Lord for his protection. It could have been a ton worse. Praying so much for you guys and your horses. Does sound like you have a great team surrounding you though!
-Erin