Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 13. More random stories since mondays are intense and my brain doesn't from coherent connections anymore and that's why this title is super long. (and probably will not represent the contents of this post)

Monday monday monday... A mixture of garfieldesque loathing, little kid on christmas morning excitement, and the trepidation that comes with the regular change in vision and group dynamic that goes with a host of new volunteers for this week of camp. Today was no exception...

Today we woke up and were greeted by the happy sight of all of the horses in the pen, thus saving us the trouble of saddling and going to search for horses. We did manage to get our devotion time in before we went down there and thus it was a spiritually smooth morning as well as physically.

[intermission to go talk to jenni tibbs]...
and now I lost that train of thought buuut stories! as promised!

This weekend I discovered that when I was a teenager doing camps like this... odds are I annoyed my elders when they were resting by recharging and being quiet and I was recharging by being with my friends and being wild and crazy. It's a good reminder, but the whippersnappers have too much energy.

Today after lunch I was waiting for the last bus to unload and a small child came up to me and said "I drank too much water and it hurts" so I sat him down and tried to figure out what exactly was the issue. (after the fact I found out someone had encouraged him to eat his food incredibly swiftly thus resulting in him overeating and whatnot) Probably the second or third question I asked him was "do you feel like you might throw up" at which point he looked at me and started to nod, halfway through the nod his mouth opened up and a stream of vomit shot out and hit me. Sometimes this job is amazing... sometimes you get covered in vomit.

Today when we were out riding we had a group of kids on horseback and a storm front blew over showering us with cold rain... the kids were a bit frustrated and started to complain. This lasted until we told them "we're in wyoming, and cowboys ride in the rain." Immediately the group perked up and started to loudly exclaim over how they were the toughest ride and would have the best story to tell about riding in the rain.

these are but the tip of the iceberg... I'm already losing the memory of others and to be honest I don't have time to record more that I do remember... Suffice it to say that this is an incredible place, cold rain and vomit and all.

-Nick


No comments: